Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sunday Brocante -- Cormeilles

This may have been the brocante-puce of the season!  The fall season, that is!  Complete puce-bliss!  As I mentioned in my previous post, I was searching for a sale that was not in the books...normally I refer to my trusty-guide for Basse Normandy, but this one I learned of via a road-side banner that we passed last week.


I had never been to Cormeilles before last Sunday--it's a sweet little town 40 minutes from where we live, and I most definitely would go back!  There are plenty of shops, cafes and a few very good antique stores and brocantes ...


 This was one of those days when from the moment we arrived, I knew it would be a great day!  Why?  It was a HUGE puce!  It spread from one end of town to the next and within minutes the first thing I spied that I knew I had to have was .... wait for it, wait for it.......a bird cage!  Well bien sur!  (You know how I am about bird cages!)  So I bought it instantly!  It is a few hundred years old, has layers of paint on it, a few bent wires and beacoup, beaucoup--charm!  I found another one--which went on the 'dream-list'--it was taller than me and I will have it someday in my little French garden---I will! (But not today).

The one I bought is on the right! The one I wished I bought on the left!



Oh, and there is my 'Patisserie' sign!  I have followed it all summer--have seen it at more than a few brocantes--I have never asked the price, but I am sure it is tres cher, because it never sells and instead keeps showing up every weekend at the sales... I am not only waiting to be able to afford it, but also to have a house large enough to place it high on a wall.... J'adore!  It's for me....someday! I am certain.


Under threatening cloudy skies, we stayed almost 3 hours--trying to see it all.  In the end I came home with a fabulous large green 'herisson' (French bottle drying rack), a few red-striped antique linens, a wicker covered jar, and a white- shabby-chippy-perfect French flower bucket... in addition to the bird cage! (the little one...).  We even indulged in a little puce 'street food' of Merguez sausage and pomme frite....while heading back to the car just in time to dodge a few sprinkles....



Hope you had a bonne Sunday too!


A bientot mes amis!


10 comments:

  1. okay, seriously? you need to begin hosting brocanting weekends as a business! I have a new appreciation after last weekend - I found a soup tureen that I brought home but seeing your photos - I could have found endless treasures! I would need a container shipped if I visited you!
    have a marvelous rest of your week mon amie~
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from one or two, almost all of the brocantes and vides have been great around here...now that you have played with food and friends (family) in the south--your next visit should be in the northwest! I would most definitely take you on the GRAND tour of brocantes mon amie! (And I happen to have a very good source for international shipping too!) xx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo jealous of your brocante Sunday, Cat! Wow! Such deliciousness....!!!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOw lovely for you to be living in France. That is my dream. I am following along now.

    What lovely brocante.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so delighted to have found you... i just love buried treasure... will follow along to all of your haunts... xx pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and btw.. i live in seattle... just read you are from nw... where???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much gals! Yes! It was a good one--so happy we found it and a perfect town to visit again even when there isn't a puce there!

    It's supposed to be gorgeous this weekend so hopefully another good brocante on Sunday in La Havre....we shall see! Fingers crossed!

    A bientot mes amis!

    Oh--and Pam! Bainbridge Island mon amie! You know me through mon mari! (and of course I am a HUGE fan of Red Ticking! xx!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how delicious is your post? Thank you - I am a new comer to blogging and just love the beautiful things and people I am finding - I will follow you with great envy and interest. Lovely photos - they take me there when I can't be there in person! Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci a vous, Francesca! Welcome! My favorite thing about 'blog-world' is that it really does take you to far away places (and also keeps me connected to 'home'!) and gives you a chance to meet amazing new friends!

    Have a wonderful day! Bon weekend!
    Cat

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup for taking the time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much! I moderate and respond to comments as soon as possible and I love hearing your thoughts!