Thursday, December 8, 2011

'Tis the season....

The house decorating is coming along--at a leisurely pace. I love the way things are coming together--simple, handmade, vintage...not cluttery or overdone.  I am surprised that French Guy appreciates it--as most men, let's be honest here, just 'humor' their better half when it comes to spending time or money on holiday decor.  It's really our thing isn't it?  So when not only 'mon mari' but also 'les enfants' admire my decorating handy-work--well it brings a lot of holiday cheer into the house!  And when Santa is happy.....

So I did most of my Christmas gift shopping on Etsy this morning.  Not just because I am an 'Etsy-ian' (is that the right term?) but because I am fully supportive of creative, small business, handmade, (and vintage--bien sur!) businesses in a world dominated by mass produced, viral marketed, big box businesses.

Even though I am in France--I decided to buy as 'locally' for friends and family in the US as possible.  It was fun to take the time to look for things that really suited the recipient--it makes the giving part of the holidays feel so custom-made.  Even if I wasn't a seller on Etsy--I really like the feel of it.  I exchanged messages with several of the shop-owners about their wares today--I found them to be friendly, cheerful, helpful and just all around lovely.  Seriously--how often can you use those adjectives in a holiday shopping experience?

A few more days and I should be done decorating and will post some pictures of our little house decked-out for the holidays--then I can move on to cooking, wrapping, planning the menus for the 'fetes' and maybe even do a tiny bit more shopping---all while waiting for 'Monsieur La Poste' to come knocking at our gate--oh, how I love to see him get out of his bright yellow truck and knock at our door!  (ho-ho-ho!)

There are a few small brocantes in the next few weekends--and I may brave the gusty, wet Normandy weather to go to one or two.  I have been making my wish list for the shop for 2012--so send me a note if you have something in mind!

Enjoy the holiday bliss mes amis!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely lovely. I can see why your husband was impressed it's all so elegantly understated. Love the fact you are living in france. I'm just about to click on your food inspiration button and see where I end up.

    Coming to you from the Northern Beaches of Sydney Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci beaucoup! I have been trying to get the balance right between 'elegantly understated' and 'sparce'... ;)

    I have however, dedicated a hall and stairway to more traditional Christmas decor of Santas, reindeer and Frosty with all the kids crafts and stuffed creatures--just to keep some whimsy around for 'les enfants'!

    Nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by all the way from down-under!

    A bientot!

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup for taking the time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much! I moderate and respond to comments as soon as possible and I love hearing your thoughts!