Saturday, December 3, 2011

Vintage ~ French ~ Christmas


Are you decorating for the holidays this weekend?  Maybe you already have.  I am going through the bins this in the next few days and have spent most of this week dreaming up decor ideas. 

This is our second Christmas in our little house in Normandy -- last Christmas I was pregnant with a holiday due date, so my mind wasn't exactly entirely on setting up a tree or hanging lights.  This year we will be having a small table-top tree (un arbe sur la table!) because 'Petite Fille' is pulling up and standing and crawling around like a speed-demon--Oh, and putting EVERYTHING in her mouth......

Last Christmas we also made the sad discovery that two of our bins had gone missing in the move somewhere between our house on Bainbridge Island,  the port in Seattle and the coast of France. In those bins-- two precious things...my Pacific Northwest 'Pere Noel' and three artficial (and very charming) Sequoia trees.  Santa was in a rustic fur coat and riding in a wood kayak -- he is somewhere out there--I hope happily paddling on someone else's mantle.  French Guy will spend the better part of the rest of his life trying to find another one for me.... (you hear that French Guy?!)


The crafty-bug has gotten a hold of me; so I am planning on making boxwood picture frames that will go above our mantle, stringing some 'snow-balls' for garland, and I found these adorable votives this morning on Country Living Magazine.com and because they go along with the vintage Christmas theme--I may make a few.

DIY Country Living
 I have always loved vintage touches for the holidays.  I am happy to hear that more people are going the handmade, up-cycled and vintage route with their holiday shopping.  These things make gift giving and receiving far more memorable.

I am lucky to be able to find wonderful linens, great pottery, enamel and metal pieces and vintage glass to add to my 'French-Vintage' decor.  Now if I can just get past this 'transitional' part where the house is half decorated, bins are opened and overflowing onto the floors and clippings of greenery litter the rug....

It's going to be a stormy weekend here in Normandy.... perfect for filling the house with holiday warmth and cheer.  Happy holidays mes amis!  Hope you are enjoying decking your halls....and dining rooms and kitchens....