Tuesday, March 13, 2012

French Laundry ...


I'm kinda crazy for this wood chest I found at a brocante in Deauville.  I almost missed it.  It was closed and looked like an ordinary, rustic wood trunk.  But thankfully I had 'Middle Garcon' along with me, and at eight, he tends to be curious......



And so when he casually said, "Nice cat" .... and I looked over and saw that he had opened the trunk to peek inside .... and inside was an amazing poster advertisement for 'amidon'... a laundry starch used in Europe in the 19th century.

Well let's just say, he had me a "cat" !  The image of 'Le Chat' is exceptional! 




The hand forged hardware is absolutely amazing!

I love it so that I have been working on it a bit before posting it for sale.  It is a one-of-a-kind, and most likely from the late 19th century.  The wood is pitch-pine and I have been cleaning it up and putting a bit of natural-wax on it.  The top when closed now looks gorgeous!

It will be one of those pieces that someone will see and instantly fall-in-love!  I just know it!

After-all, it happened to 'moi'!  Keep an eye out for it on Sunday Brocantes!