Saturday, October 27, 2012

{45}

When we were in Paris we ran all over the city, just for fun and because we could,
 but also in search of this ....


Which was found here ...


And I thought it was perfect that it was on a quiet side street that had a little artsy flare, a little vintage appeal and slightly chippy and worn too...  all of this was just right for me... and turning 45.

I have been looking forward to this birthday for a while.  I love 45 already.  I mean seriously--what is not to love? To kick off my 45th year in Paris and to have my parents in town could not have been a better start to it.  

The actual day of my birthday was spent in Rouen with Mom and Dad, French Guy and Petite Fille...having a great lunch and exploring the city.



The year between 44 and 45 was interesting.  Celebrating 44 with a new baby on one hand and a teen on the other and a very precocious kiddo in the middle--somehow had a magical way of keeping me young (now don't laugh!)... and focused--if you can believe that! 

Focus on our family which eluded  me for too long finally fell into place and a strange sense of balance in the middle of the chaos made an unexpected appearance midway through the year.  But one thing that I have decided is that as much as I have loved the explosion of creativity and juggle of  the exciting new projects, this next year ... starting now, something has got to give. 

(But more on that below!)




 I also came to terms with the whole 'aging' part of the equation.  I am comfortable in my skin, wrinkles and all.  I am fine with my body and image and I think pretty much give or take a kilo or two--will be what it is and I am okay with it. (Even though in the French/European size equivalents I appear to be HUGE!--in the states I was an 8-10 and here I am a 40-42!) As far as dressing  I have found my 'style' again--I have to say that moving to France temporarily derailed my personal sense of 'me' (let's face it--I arrived in maternity wear when we moved!) but I am so less likely to pick up a fashion magazine to tell me what I should or should not wear for the first time in my life and maybe it's hormones or aging or whatever, but since growing out my hair I now have masses of curls instead of frizz for the first time ever!---so if aging has anything to do with that---bring it on! 




Now back to the cutting back thing.  There are hundreds (make that thousands!) of things I would love to be doing and working on.  Creatively and professionally there are not enough hours in the day!  But more importantly than that--there are things happening in our family that need immediate attention, and with that there are things I want to work on personally.... I would like to be a better friend I have to do some work on the 'inside' and I am over of blaming time constraints on that.  I also made a promise to myself that I would launch a personal project that got waylaid several years ago and come hell or high-water (which seems quite possible at times!) I will do it.  NOW.





There are so many things that push and pull us each day ---  I used to feel that I should send out a personal apology to those that follow me on Pinterest...... 

Dear (insert your name),
Thank you so much for liking my style and taste as reflected in the things I "pin" but please do not expect too much action as I find that there are so many more things I would rather be doing today/this week/this month and perhaps you would like to reconsider your 'follow'?"

As cool as it might be--I must be a Pinterest flunkie-- and honestly--I just can't sort out Twitter--I know. Yes.  Loser.  But oh well..... I used to aspire to keep up with all of it--but not anymore.

So two things (for now!) mes amis-- I am taking a 'hiatus' from writing on my personal blog 'Fil de la Vie' and taking a break from food blogging on 365 French Days.  So if you are following there--I am grateful for your support and perhaps it will be a relief for you to have one less thing as well!




You can still find me here---mais bien sur! There are other changes coming--but that is the beginning. I will be strategically and authentically be saying 'no' more often and letting myself off the hook.  I will not be trapped by comparing my life and accomplishments with those of others knowing that my energy and time is better placed on the ones I love and the things that I love to do-- things I love just because I do. 

All this to say ... I think {45} will be the best year yet.


 Why not---just look how it has started!
Thanks for sticking with me!  The best is yet to come!

À bientôt!




9 comments:

  1. Once again you have inspired- looking at what matters, what does not, and then taking action. I am proud of you for simplifying as it is something I love and aspire to. While it is difficult to weed out things that we may love but aren't adding enough to our "real" lives, it is so valuable in the end. I know year 46 is going to be your best yet!!!
    Love to you friend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Well, this all sounds wonderful to me. I should take the time to sit down, reflect, and outline a similar plan. :-) I would not worry too much about "Pinning," Twitter (seriously, what is the point of that one?! :-) or losing a couple of kilos. Like many American women you seem to be very TALL, and the amazon woman look helps a lot, doesn't it? :-) I am glad you will still find the time to write here since I started reading you very recently. Looking forward to hearing more about your plans. Congrats on turning 45. I am ahead of you by just a few short years. A bientot, Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats Cat!! And y'know you're giving yourself the best gift of all, right? The gift of freedom and happiness to make the decisions unique and perfect to you only!!
    Happy Birthday gal!!!

    xoHeather

    ReplyDelete
  4. i will also be turning 45 in just a few short months and feel very much the same as you! i also have two teenagers, a ten year old and a 3 year old! we are headed to italy for autumn break but can't wait to come visit normandy! bon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best IS yet to come! Good for you and Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Cat!!! And you are making great choices. I applaud you for having the courage and wisdom to say "no" when you need to so you can focus on what's most important.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just happened upon your site and really enjoyed what you have to say. I'm ahead of you by a decade, still working full time, and ever wondering "what I'm going to do when I grow up"!

    I too LOVE France and most things French. Your site was like a brief vacation so I will be back. As I like to say, Je suis Americaine, mais mon coure et Francais! Sorry for the errors; I've never written it before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo, my friend. Very well said and again, I think we could be kindred spirits because I have felt and do feel the very same way. Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday.!
    I love the first photo. AMAZING.
    I was looking some photos and it lead to me here..
    Serendipity.!

    Have a great day.~~
    Julie from down under.

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup for taking the time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much! I moderate and respond to comments as soon as possible and I love hearing your thoughts!