Friday, February 8, 2013

Kindness...in any language.


French words to know... gentillesse, amabilité, bienveillance, bonté ... 

...... kindness. 

Middle Garcon has been out of school for almost a week.  He was sick before last weekend and then if he misses Monday and Tuesday and there is no school on Wednesdays normally...then suddenly it is dawning on me that I am a little bit irritable (okay a lot-bit) and a lot behind what I should be doing and I am thinking what will I do if he never goes back (his dream not mine!)..... and Petite Fille has had the snots and a cough off and on and it was a busy week already ....

Do you often get so caught up in your own busyness that you forget to take an extra moment to do something kind for someone else?  Guilty as charged here.  I do often really, r-e-a-l-l-y get wrapped up in my own stuff...  How about you? Do you forget to take an extra moment and effort for someone else...until someone, out of the blue, does something for you?

So last week (before the snotty plague) Middle Garcon came home to tell me that he had cake at school!  Which caused me to stop in my tracks and say "What?!  Cake?!?"....Middle Garcon is very intolerant of gluten and dairy and has been on a restricted diet since he was 18 months old.  So to tell me he had cake ......  

Then he gave me this:

  
A mom at his school made a gluten/dairy free cake for her son's birthday---so that MY son could have a piece with the rest of the class...and sent home this note so that we would not worry if we heard that he had cake at school!

That is kindness.  That is above kindness.  I sent the mom (I don't even know her name.) a card to say thank you -- words were not even enough.

Yesterday was the big day for French Guy, he turned 50 and I think he handled "it" wonderfully.  And I cooked up a storm to celebrate it....but a day in the kitchen (with sunshine!) who is complaining?!



Chestnut Creme Brulee -- a new recipe!


Steak au Poivre Vert with a side of sauteed potatoes (cooked in duck fat!) No dieting in this house last night!

Red meat is a treat for him... I don't eat it so I rarely cook it! I will post the recipe for the Chestnut Creme Brulee -- creme brulee is one of those deserts that I have been trying to master in as many varieties as I can think of and this one turned out pretty good!

Tomorrow we head over to the house to do measurements!  I have already found a HUGE old rustic antique butcher's table that will be a counter in the kitchen.  I can't wait to go over.  (French Guy won't admit it, but he 'unintentionally' passed by the house twice this week....).

.... are we smitten or what!?

Bon weekend everyone!  See you again soon!